Parent and Child Program
Ages 6 months – 18 months
For babies who will be carried for the hike portion of the program
For more info on our clubs, click here.
Nature babies learn the wild ways of High Park along with their parents as they listen to birds, touch the natural textures of the woods and enjoy the fresh air . Indoors, experienced leaders gently encourage participants to experience and appreciate nature playfully with songs, rhymes, crafts and sensory stations. Parents put the babies in a carrier for a guided hike in High Park’s north east corner. Parents also learn a wealth of new ways to explore nature with their young ones. Please note that the trails we use for hikes are not stroller-friendly.
Our activities are guided by the seasons and weather conditions. Some areas of focus will likely include:
- Outdoor and indoor exploration activities that encourage babies and parents to use their senses
- Nature-based songs and action rhymes
- Sensing the changing seasons through hearing, smell, taste, touch and sight
- Nature crafting
- Learning and singing bird songs
- Hiking to some of High Park’s places of natural wonder (Hikes are approximately 40 minutes on moderate trails. Hikes will be at a slow pace.)
- Searching for wildlife
“Nature Baby is an amazing program!….It was so neat to see the babies grow! And, to talk and walk with the other parents.” – Participant testimonial
“I loved it entirely: the time in the Nature Centre (the atmosphere, the nature items & toys, the animals, the songs) and the hikes & activities in the woods. The pace & friendliness was just right. And I really enjoyed learning tidbits about nature in the park.” -Participant testimonial